Wednesday 16 February 2011

Wednesday February 16th

Today was difficult for me...  I must admit that I was lonesome for home and that I miss my family and friends.  Even though I have met some really nice people that are really good to me since I arrived here.. it's hard to replace home!  I've heard lots of people saying that it is their dream to come to Japan and train full time for a prolonged period of time... It's damn hard let me tell you!  First of all you must integrate into the dojo as quick as possible... become familiar with the etiquette, students and sensei's... and then adapt to the intensity of the training... So far this has been enjoyable and "relatively" okay for me, thankfully.  The hardest part for me is adapting to what happens outside of the dojo.. The population of Tokyo is over 13 million people who rush around the place and the majority live for their job.  Everything is fast paced and totally different to what I'm used to in Ireland.. I'm trying to finish the last phase of my PhD thesis and I miss going out into the back lawn swinging my golf clubs or kicking a ball to re-energise my mind!  I even rang my father today and spoke about possibly coming home 3 or 4 weeks early... May 4th seemed a long way off earlier today!

Anyway... given all my emotional turbulence today... I still managed to automatically pack my dogi into my bag at 5pm to head for training at the Hombu Dojo for 6pm.  This is no problem for me... In fact I really enjoy it and never know what each session will bring..  I'm very fortunate to have no injuries whatsoever and this enables me to try as hard as I possibly can in each session that I train.

Kanayama Sensei took the 6-7pm class today.  Started off practicing oi-zuki.. concentrating on the hikite hand and keeping elbow tucked behind.  Did a lot of straight leg lifts to the front and to the side without dropping the leg and then practiced mae-geri (3 per count from hesoku-dachi) and yoko-geri kekomi slowly (40 times on each leg).  Kanayama Sensei seems to love these slow kicking exercises.  I think he's brilliant and his energy is inspiring.  All of these strengthening, punching and kicking exercises went on for a pretty long time.  We finished the class practicing Junro Shodan and then broke into teams of three and practiced it several times.  This was very different but enjoyable.  The floor was really slippery at this stage.. I was having problems at times with balance.

Yamaguchi Sensei took the 7-8pm class.  Most of the seniors who trained from 6-7pm stayed for this class and we were joined by 4 others.  We started off the class with focus pad work with a partner.. Practicing gyaku-zuki (yori-ashi), oi-zuki and mawashi-geri.  Different combinations.. difficult to keep the legs snappy as we progressed through.  My partner who only came in at 7pm was totally wrecked at this stage!  We then put on our kumite mitts and seven of us lined up attacking the person at the top of the line Jodan, Chudan, Geri and then anything (first time no defence and second time around defender needed to defend and counterattack)..  I really enjoyed this part of the class.  I must admit that I was well able to mix it with the senior members and gave them plenty of it!  But they are really good and relaxed and this helps to let go everything!  All the time Yamaguchi Sensei and Kanayama Sensei were watching on.  We finished the class with Junro Shodan (yet again) but great to get in the practice.

I never got corrected on anything tonight but this means nothing!  I think Kanayama Sensei was probably giving me a break as he knew that I had a "hard" time of it in last evenings sessions.  Yamaguchi Sensei asked me after training when I was leaving.. He said Go-gotsu (May) before I opened my mouth.. So there you go.. Mind made up and no changing flights now!  Plough on!

6 comments:

  1. Very much enjoying your posts Diarmaid, and your honesty. Possibly best not to think too far ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osu Diarmaid, I only went to Japan for 2 weeks in 2005 and missed my family and friends! Please don't give up. You are doing very well out there and your blog is inspiring us to train harder in the dojo...osu, Hans :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday is a blessing and take it one day at a time. You just dont know what you will feel like in a day, week, month, etc.

    Chin up. Ossu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done mate! I admire your physical and mental strength. It must be hard as I can imagine reading your posts. Keep it up! Ossu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diarmaid
    You've done the hard part - getting into the group - yes I think the advice so far is good - one week at a time - I think of quitting all the time!!
    But remember you are not doing for yourself - you are doing vicariously for all of us who haven't made the opportunity to go.
    Still enjoying your blog. Tried writing an article on our Kangeiko experience but as Scott says is too factual on the different training and not enough on the strengths of the different instructors - think this bit is interesting in your blog like for example the slow kicking training of Kanayama - keep the posts coming - might plagiarise some of your stuff!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your posts guys.. They mean an awful lot and are really helping me through it. Feel a lot better in myself today so it's downhill from here :)

    ReplyDelete