Monday 7 February 2011

Monday February 7th

Today was a big day for me.  I was a bit nervous about attending morning training and I was also anxious to see how I could manage three hours training (1 hour in the morning and two hours in the evening).  I arrived at the dojo around 10:10am.  Kai Sensei was there cleaning the dojo floor.  I was glad to see there were a few more students other than myself training!  Three seniors and some beginners.  Nagaki Sensei took three of us in the seniors class while Kai took the beginners.

We did some muscle training for the first ten minutes - squats and more squats!  Next up we each took two towels each and we placed these under our feet.  We then practiced zenkutsu-dachi, kokutsu-dachi and kiba-dachi up and down the dojo.  First of all we broke the stances down into seperate parts and then did each at one count.  This was a new form of training which I never experienced before.  It was tough but worthwhile.  The most important things I took from it was not to lose a towel, so you had to maintain contact with the floor and also the contraction of the inner thigh muscles was important.

We then did kihon up and down the dojo.  Nagaki Sensei told me that I return my hikite (pull back hand) in a slight arc and that I need to just bring it straight back.  This is a habit that I have had with a long time I think!  Also Nagaki Sensei pointed out that I tend to be short with my preparing blocking hand for shuto uke.  I tend to only bring it to my ear but he pointed out to me that I should pull it back further - almost behind my head.  Finally we finished the class with some kihon ippon and jiyu ippon kumite.  This was not too intensive and Nagaki Sensei was looking for us to maintain good form and kime with our counter attacks.

Very tired after training.  as I was walking down through Sugamo to catch my train I met Kagawa Sensei and I ensured that I stopped and bowed and I said "ohio gosaimasu" (good morning)!  He replied with a smile and said "good morning"!  I think he was probably laughing at me with my sweaty red head!  Washed my dogi when I got back to the apartment.  Had a quick bite to eat.  Spoke to my uncle in Chicago via skype and then I rested for a couple of hours... I went to bed!  Got up again at 4.30pm and I made my way to the dojo shortly after for 6pm training.

Kagawa Sensei, Nagaki Sensei and Kai Sensei were teaching kids class when I arrived at the dojo.  Nagaki Sensei smiled (approvingly I think!) when he saw that I was back for more training.  He took the first 40 minutes of the 6pm class.  It was very intensive.  More kihon (basics) again.  Mae Geri - return leg - Kizami, Gyakuzuki etc.  Lots of different combinations.  I was sweating excessively and it was running to my feet and I was sometimes having trouble slipping.  Kai Sensei spotted this and brought a towel over to me which was kind of him.  Sometimes when I am doing mawashi-geri and getting tired I dont push my hip into the kick and Nagaki Sensei pointed this out to me.  Need to work on this. 

Kagawa Sensei took the final 20 minutes of the class.  For the previous 40 minutes he was doing all sorts of crazy exercises with tubes and even had some of the kids from the 5-6pm class pulling them against him.  They were falling around the place in stitches laughing in amazement!  For the last 20 minutes we spent about 5 minutes doing some jiyu kumite with the kids.  They attacked and we just blocked.  The seniors also faced each other for a little bit.  Kagawa Sensei finished off the class with Gojushiho Sho for the black belts.  There were a couple of things that I need to work on in this.  Too hard to explain!  I might take this as my tokui kata for next week.

There was a quick turn around between 6-7 and 7-8pm classes.  The 7-8 class was smaller in size.  Kagawa Sensei took all of this.  It was mostly kihon up and down the dojo.  All uke (blocks) and kicks.  I was feeling very tired at times.  My breathing was fine but was just weak and starting to feel less sharp.  Everything starts to feel short and this is something I need to overcome.  Nagaki Sensei and Kai Sensei also took part in this class and were constantly behind me.  This was a little intimidating!  We finished the class with all Heian kata and all Junro kata.  Kagawa Sensei spent a little bit of time explaining the preparation for moroto uke.  This was a block that I always started at my hip but like shuto uke it needs to start a little more behind with specific hand positions.  My uraken in kiba dachi in Junro Sandan is a bit too bent so I need to make this straighter. 

Was really wrecked at the end of class but I'm starting to feel better in my technique and a little more "at home" in the dojo.  All of the instructors are very welcoming and give me a lot of attention and advice on my technique.  One of the main things that stand out for me is the instructors eye for detail and their ability to constructively advise everybody in the class.  As I was leaving the dojo Kai Sensei asked me how long I was staying for and we started to chat.  I was asking him about his Kenshusei training and when he will graduate.  He asked me if I was going to train everyday and I replied "yes" and he nodded approvingly. 

Walked with some of the students to Sugamo station and got the train back to Nippori.  Went to an Indian restaurant for dinner.  It was a weird place, food was okay but I wont go back again!  I'm going to skip morning training tomorrow as I think I need to ease into the three hours a day and I also have some research to do.  I will train for two hours tomorrow evening and will do three hours on Wednesday again.  Thats the plan anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Diarmaid Sensei! Your comments about different points you were advised during your practice are very important. Like this I am leraning them too. So, thank you for teaching me through your blog! Keep posting... and training! :) Ossu
    Dmitry

    ReplyDelete