Monday 14 February 2011

Monday February 14th

As throughout the world, it is Valentines Day here in Japan as well today.  However, it traditional for women only to give presents to men on this day.  Usually a box of chocolates!  Men return the same action to women on "White Day" which occurs on March 14th.  So there's a useless bit of information for you!

For the first time in a few weeks I felt I did some worthwhile work today on my PhD document.  I must admit that it has been damn hard to get back into the frame of mind for research.  I have a few changes/improvements to make to my thesis and I'm so near to concluding it but it's just very hard to get stuck in!  Anyway, here's hoping that this will be a good week on that front!

Went to the dojo for 6-8pm training.  Nagaki Sensei and Kai Sensei were teaching kids when I arrived.  No sign of Kagawa Sensei.. He usually teaches on Monday.  There were only four of us training in the 6-7pm class.  Nagaki Sensei took this.  Strangely we only practiced kata.  Jo-No kata, all Hiean kata, Jion and Empi.  Nagaki Sensei was correcting my technique from the off.  Not enough expansion in my arms as I prepare and turn for gedan-barai (90 degree and 180 degrees).  He also corrected the path of my uraken in Hiean Sandan.  I also tend to over rotate my blocking elbow after the "stamp downs".  This needs to be smaller and only a deflection. 

Nagaki Sensei also pointed out a few things in my Hiean Godan.  For example... after doing the empi in kiba dachi I tend to rotate my hips into shomen as I move in to a supported uchi-uke in koso-dachi.  Rather, I should stay side on.  This is something that was new to me.  I must ask Scott Sensei about it!  Also at the end of Hiean Godan I tend to go from zenkutsu-dachi (with open hands) and then into kokutsu dachi.  Nagaki Sensei pointed out that I should be on the same line - zenkutsu then pulling to kokutsu dachi.  No real problems with Jion...  In Empi I need to work on the knee up and then downwards into koso-dachi.  We also did some exercises that helped with the weight shift from kiba-dachi to kokutsu-dachi.

Kai Sensei took the 7-8pm class.  There were six people training in this.  I was the only person who stayed from the 6-7pm class.  This was a very nice relaxed class.  There was a new beginner in the class and Kai Sensei focused it towards her.  Worked on gyaku-zuki and mae-geri with a partner and a focus pad.  Did a lot of gohon kumite, jiyu ippon kumite (everybody lined up and attack one person at the top of the line) and we also did some nice relaxed jiyu kumite.  We finished the class with JoNo kata.  Even though this is a beginners kata it can become very difficult when trying to apply everything that I am being told and what I am observing!

Stretched for about 10 minutes after class.  I was the only person on the dojo floor when Nagaki Sensei was leaving and I made sure to stand at the door and bow and say arigato gozaimusta as he was leaving.  This is an important part of the dojo etiquette.  Went to Jonathan's for my dinner in Jonathans.  It was snowing pretty heavy outside after training.  Roads and foothpaths were in a bad way! 

I was thinking to myself today that I am in a very priveleged position.  I'm here in Tokyo training hard everyday at the JKS Hombu Dojo with some of the best instructors in the world, I'm taking correction, trying to apply what I'm corrected on and what I observe and hopefully I will end up improving my karate..! Simple but I'm enjoying it!          

2 comments: