Wednesday 9 February 2011

Wednesday 9th February

Slept okay last night.  Was hard to get to sleep initially because it was raining outside and I could here it tapping away outside.  Did some of my research during the day.  Preparing things for my revision stage over the next four weeks.  It's good to have that to distract me from my training during the day.  Was good to speak with my Mam and the lads in 113 over skype in the afternoon. 

Went to Sugamo at the usual time for 6pm training.  Kanayama Sensei took the lesson.  There were about 10 students taking part.  Angelo and Michiko were also there and they brought an Italian girlfriend of theirs.  She practiced kung-fu for a period of time and this was her first karate lesson.. I think!  It was some baptism of fire for her I'd say!

Started off the lesson with about 150 squats in shiko-dachi.  We then did around 150 lunges... pausing at the bottom point every time without letting the knee touch the floor.  Also did punching up and down the dojo shuffling in shiko-dachi.  And we also did around 100 of the sumo like leg raises which Kagawa Sensei is noted for!  Wrecked..!  We did some basic kihon up and down the dojo.  All blocks, punches and kicks were practiced.  Sweating as usual with a pool of water forming around me... Kanayama Sensei brought me a towel to help wipe the sweat!  I felt more relaxed in my form today and was more conscious about it after last nights session with Inada Sensei.  We finished the lesson with kihon ippon kumite... attack - defend - attack - defend every step.  Everybody seemed pretty tired at the end of class.

Most people left and there were some fresh faces for the 7-8pm class.  Yamaguchi Sensei took this class.  Started with gyaku-zuki from zenkutsu dachi and he quickly moved onto nekoashi-dachi.  Looking at form... pulsing up and down with the back leg and also shifting from kiba dachi into nekoashi-dachi left and right.  Maintaining this theme Yamaguchi Sensei taught Gojushiho - Dai.  I didn't know this kata in full and it was great to be able to learn it.  Found it difficult settling deep in nekoashi-dachi.. My legs were feeling knackered at this stage.  We also did Gojushiho - Sho and Meikyo.   All the time while Yamaguchi Sensei was leading the class, Kanayama Sensei was looking on and correcting all students.  We finished the lesson with some jiyu kumite.  One side attacking and the other side only defending..

Was totally wrecked at the end of the lesson... This is expected at this stage but I think the Sensei's appreciate if you just try hard and try to apply their advice!  Spoke with a few of the students while stretching and then got changed.  As I was leaving the dojo Yamaguchi Sensei called me back and explained that they are almost finished producing some sort of new DVD and he asked me if I would be able to do an English voice-over.  Of course I duly obliged!  He was laughing by saying that speaking in Japanese was no problem but English not so good!  They have it translated already into English already and just need me to speak over it.  It's great to be able to help them out as the value I'm getting from their instruction is immeasurable.

Had to stop in Jonathan's for the "drinks bar" and dinner after training... More research to be done tomorrow and back to Sugamo for training again for another two hours in the evening.  Body feels tired now but thankfully I don't have any injuries and I feel good in myself

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I like your blog Diarmaid Sensei! A couple of questions if you do not mind:

    1. I want that DVD! Could you buy it for me and I will make sure you receive money back? Do they need it to be translated to Russian?! LOL

    2. I love MEIKYO. Learned it myself though. It seems to be a relatively simple kata. Why is it learned as a senior one from all 26 Shotokan katas? What were the most highlighted moments of this kata taught during that class? Please share the knowledge!

    3. General question. All over the karate world they keep saying that karatedo is not based on physical ability of a practitioner but I see that in Hombu Dojo they do make emphasis on hard physical training. What happened to the traditinally spread theory of "karate for every one no matter what age, sex, physical ability etc."? Just interested. If let's say an old sensei comes to practice would he be doingthe same sort of 150 push-ups etc.?

    Thank you.
    Good luck!
    Dmitry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dmitry,

    I'm glad you like reading my blog!

    RE Q1: The DVD hasn't been released yet but if they do release it before I leave for Ireland I will let you know the story and I can pick up one for you.

    RE Q2: Most highlighted moments of Meikyo.. Every movement and transitions between movements is so important! I'm not sure if I can pick out any single point. Maybe the transition from the double open handed grabbing technique into a downward pushing/punching action into zenkutsu (straight line stance) and then reversing hips in the opposite direction was emphasised alright.

    RE Q3: I'm not so sure if I'm the right person to answer this question. I often remember Scott Sensei saying that karate is 50% physical and 50% technical ability. Training at the Hombu Dojo is extreme to put it mildly.. but this is the world headquarters and it's not supposed to be easy! I would think the "old sensei" that you refer to would just try his best but would typically train in a more "normal" dojo with a more relaxed atmosphere.

    Speak soon,
    Diarmaid :)

    ReplyDelete