Wednesday 2 March 2011

Wednesday March 2nd

I think yesterday evenings training was both mentally and physically very hard for me.  The physical "bashing" is easier to deal with than the mental "bashing"... Not that I didn't enjoy that 20 minutes with Inada Sensei because I actually did and I was so glad that he took me aside and ripped my technique apart!!  The only problem for me is that I was doing yokogeri-kekomi in my sleep all night last night... very restless nights sleep!  I'm not sure if I can afford to be having sleeps like that especially when my PhD thesis is due for final submission in 11 days time..!

I was up early this morning and I had a pretty good day at my research thankfully and at intervals in between I would find myself going to the mirror and practicing my kekomi making sure that I was keeping my back straight and my upper body relaxed... Went to the Swiss chalet restaurant for a nice lunch.  I decided to give training a break tonight to concentrate on my research and so that I will be fit enough to be up bright and very early (7am!) tomorrow morning to continue with it.  Have to prioritise at this stage I'm afraid!  I did however go out for an hour and went to Ikebukuro to buy a shinai to help me with my kicking and stretching exercises but I was unable to find the martial arts store...  I continued on the trains to Akabane and to a wholesale store which Angelo and Michiko introduced me to last month.. I had to stock up on cornflakes (very big bag!) and pasta.  Had some Ramen with roast pork on the way home... Very nice!

So nothing much to report today... will plough on with my research tomorrow and looking forward to training with Kagawa Sensei and Yamaguchi Sensei tomorrow night

 

2 comments:

  1. you should think about meditation or learn how to use motor imagery.......you should be able to sleep a little better then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diarmaid
    I have to agree about the mental bashing...thinking about this recently. I'm sure you have heard of Kaizen ..features a lot in quality stuff from Japan. Idea being a 'defect' is to be treasured/highlighted, allowing for a focus to attain continuous improvement. I wonder is this another difference in our cultures. Focus, I perceive as criticism, but then I am overly sesnsitive that way...
    Frank

    ReplyDelete