Saturday 12 March 2011

Saturday March 11th

Got about one and a half hours of sleep last night..if even that.  Place shook badly on a couple of occasions during the night.  Apparently this was due to a seperate earthquake in the northwest of Japan.  When I woke at 4.30am I saw the news about the nuclear plant etc. and I started to get pretty nervous and I was shaking..  Called home to my Dad, we both figured it would be crazy for them to come to leave for Japan Sunday morning... and within a few minutes I had booked a flight for home...  I'm booked on a Singapore Airlines flight out of Narita at 1900 local time tomorrow evening..  In one way I'm disappointed that I couldn't see my plans out until the end but at the end of the day my safety is most important..  I don't really want to stay around to see what happens next..  It's too scary for me.  It definitely wouldn't have made sense for my parents to get on a flight to Tokyo on Sunday morning when the country is devasted...  So I'm coming home to Ireland..  Hopefully the trains will get back running and that Narita returns to some normaility within the next 24 hours.

As I'm writing this the place still shakes from time to time...  It has been about an hour since the last "heavier" jolt.  Going to go for a walk towards Nippori station now to see if there is anything happening.  8.45am here...  It's going to be a long day or so

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you're going back home and you weren't able to see out your plans but like you say - your safety comes first! You should be proud of what you've achieved in the time you were there :) Hope to see you soon bug man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *typo! I mean to type BIG MAN! haha sorry mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels D! I've been worried about ya all day!

    ReplyDelete