Monday 30 July 2012

Monday July 30th

Today was my first day feeling recovered after arriving in Japan.  I wasn't feeling well for the last few days if I'm perfectly honest.  Trying to beat the jetlag, the effects of going head first into training and trying to battle the extreme heat all compound into something that is very difficult to overcome.  I guess it's made even more difficult when I'm here on my own and I have nobody to compare with..!!

As the dojo was closed this morning, I decided to head to Asakusa Kannon for a couple of hours.  Tokyo's most sacred and spectacular temple is located here.  It is full of merchandise shops and the temple itself is spectacular.  I didn't wander around for too long as the heat was just belting down!  I did manage to find sunscreen in the local 7-11 on my way back to my apartment!  I'll be slapping that on from now on!  I have uploaded a few pictures of Senso-ji Temple below.

Entrance to Temple area

Near endless lines of merchandise!




Outside the main temple


Silence and prayer inside the temple
I hit off for training in Sugamo shortly after six.  I was expecting Kagawa Sensei to be teaching as he usually teaches on Monday's... When I slid the doors of the dojo open I was surprised to see.... Kai Sensei and Watanabe Sensei teaching... the two finalists of yesterday's All-Japan tournament!  In fairness to the majority of Sensei's in the dojo they always make an effort to acknolwedge me when I'm in the dojo.  I don't expect it because I'm obviously junior to them but it's nice to get a bow and a smile back when you show them respect!  If I'm honest... I don't think Kanayama Sensei is the friendliest.... but then at the same time I have so much respect for him and as I have said on a number of occasions, I really admire the way he always looks out for the kids wellbeing but pushes them to their absolute limit!

There seemed to be no tension whatsoever between Watanabe Sensei and Kai Sensei... I guess it was just another tournament for them and it's probably good for Watanabe Sensei to get the win under his belt.  I'd imagine from hearing what Scott Sensei went through, that Watanabe Sensei is probably going through hell on the instructor's course at the moment... Hopefully yesterday's win will give him confidence to push on with his training!  However, it is still very apparent that Kai Sensei's karate is much more fine tuned and technically a lot better.  This was very much evident in their kata performances yesterday.

Anyway.... Watanabe Sensei took the 7-8pm session tonight.  It was a real "lung-opener"...!  It was a mixture of fitness training and kumite.  There was only six people training.  We started off in teams of two.  10 pushups, sprint, 20 crunches, sprint, 20 bow type pulses, sprint, 20 burpees and sprint home.  We did 5 rounds of this and the aim was to beat your partner...   Next up we split into two teams of three.  Sprinting forward to one corner of the dojo, shuffling sideways to the next, sprinting backwards to the third, and finally shuffling home sideways and tag the next team member... It was a race and the other team started in the opposite side of the dojo. Four rotations... Losing team had to do twenty push-ups...  Of course, I was on the winning team :)  Next up... siimilar to the last one but this time it was through bouncing!  I was loving it at this stage... I really love finding that extra gear when things become competitive... expecially here in Japan!  I convince myself that I can move faster, punch quicker, bouncer higher, sprint quicker than everybody else... You have to have this mentality otherwise you will be in trouble!  I remember when I started the bouncing section... I was springing quite high off the floor as I was moving forward and Watanabe Sensei shouted out a few "OH's"!  That was pretty cool I thought!  We also did some random foot movement drills where we had to move as shuffle as quick as possible between different bases.  Team event again.  20, 15 and finish with 10 seconds.

After all of the above we had a welcome two minute water break.  We put on our kumite mitts and did some very nice drills for the last 20 minutes.  It was pretty cool to be getting instruction from the winner of yesterday's All-Japan kumite title!  But... it was all so simple yet brilliant.  Kizami-zuki... 10 times each side.  Concentrating on the timing of the technique and Watanabe Sensei was stressing the importance of placment of the front leg... If it was placed on the wrong side you are weak and there is potential that your leg would be swept.  We did the same for gyaku-zuki.  Then we attacked kizami-zuki while the other side bloacked and countered.  Finally we did the same type of drills for geri (kicking techniques).  The class really flew by but I must admit that it was really tough going.  I tried very hard and that's all you can do!  After class I helped Nicholas (a French beginner) with some of his kumite movement for ten minutes in front of the mirror.  He was struggling with the timing of placing his front foot and the execution of his punch.  He came on pretty well after I helped him tweak a few things!

I gave Kai Sensei and Wattanabe Sensei a box of Butler's Irish chocolates after training!  I said "Omedetou" (congratulations) to Watanabe Sensei for his win yesterday.  I'm looking forward to training again tomorrow.  It should be Inada Sensei teaching in the morning.  Great!  I must go and fetch my dogi from the washing machine and let it dry before tomorrow evening.  My other dogi is in my bag already and set for the morning!

I'll watch some TV before heading to bed.  The Olympics is getting a lot of coverage here... especially the Judo!  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment