Saturday 28 July 2012

Friday July 27th

There was no training at the dojo today because the All-Japan Championships take place tomorrow and Sunday.  The rest was very welcome as I'm still struggling to overcome jet lag.  Three sessions within 36 hours of arriving in Japan was very difficult!  I headed off an adventure to the main Mizuno store in Ochanomizu, Tokyo when I got up this morning.  It was a little tricky getting there but between a map and my Suica card I managed just fine.  Mizuno the label for the Japan national team (JKF) and the Japan Olympic squad.  I thought that there would be lots of merchandise at the store but I was disappointed to be honest!  Below are a couple of photographs of Ochanomizu and the nearby construction taking place at Meiji University.




I didn't realise until today how expensive it has become to visit Japan.  The Euro is absolutely crippling us!  See the figure below!  In the summer of 2008 one would have got about 170 Yen for 1 Euro.  Today you will only get 96 Yen for 1 Euro!  So... the cost of visiting Japan has almost doubled!!  It's crazy when you consider that a litre of milk costs 248 Yen in the local 7-11 store.  That's €2.60!!  Don't get me wrong... I'm not complaining.  It's just a notable observation!


I had some sweet and sour pork for my lunch in a local restaurant in Nippori this afternoon.  It's the exact same staff there as last year!  While I was eating my dinner the restaurant became quiet and the chefs were just standing, staring at the walls inside in the kitchen.  No banter going on.... All very serious! 

I rested for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then headed to Jonathan's Restaurant in Sugamo with my "Japanese for Beginners" book to enjoy dinner and the drinks bar.  P90X Stretching for an hour to help keep my muscles lengthened!  I'll head to Yoyogi National Stadium tomorrow to watch the All-Japan Championships.  Time for the leaba now. 



1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to Japan OK and are settling in.Enjoy your holiday!! Aunty Cathy

    ReplyDelete