Wednesday 25 July 2012

July 25th, 2012 - Return to Japan

Last week I decided that the time was right to return to Japan after last years natural disaster.  During the long 11.5 hour flight, I couldn't help but ask myself the question - "What am I at.... heading back out to Japan...?".... "Will another earthquake occur?".... "Surely it would have been more relaxing and less expensive to head off on a sun holiday...?".... Anybody who has trained in Japan even for a short period of time knows that it's a physical and mental struggle.  I'm not back here to prove anything to anybody.  I'm back here because of the Japanese people and most of all the instructors at the Hombu Dojo.  They have a presence that can make even the strongest karateka nervous...while having a keen eye for detail, they expect you to give 110% at all times, they will help you if you try hard and I think that they have this ability to generate a highly charged atmosphere that cannot be replicated anywhere else in the world... I respect this so much and this is why I'm back!

So since when I left Japan last year, I went into hiding in order to finish my Ph.D..  I graduated last August and I was given a lecturing position in my hometown university last January.  Thankfully my life is very good at the moment and I have an awful lot to be thankful for.

When I arrived at Nippori Station from Narita Airport today, it felt as if I never left Japan.  Strangely everything came to be automatically... I didn't have to think twice about what exit I was taking or where I was heading.  It was pretty cool to be able to recognise some local faces as well!  I was shattered when I got to my apartment.  I'm right across the corridor from where I was staying last year.  I will take some photographs tomorrow and post them.  I didn't think that I would be able to make training because I was feeling so tired.  But after about three hours sleep, I was refreshed and raring to go!  Back down to Nippori Station and the Yamanote Line to Sugamo... 6 minutes!

When I arrived at the dojo, I could hear Kanayama Sensei yelling when I opened the entrance door.  Too late to turn back now...!!!  Yamaguchi Sensei was training in the back of the class.  He came straight over and gave me a very warm greeting.  That helped to ease the nerves!  I think he was happy to see me.  Kanayama Sensei was really drilling the 6-7pm class as I was warming up by the side.  He appears to frighten the life out of the kids but has a very good way with them all the same.  They can really get the most out of the kids at the Hombu Dojo.  You cannot but admire the parent's decision in sending their kids to arguably the toughest place to train on the planet!

It was really great to see Paul, Ronnie and Sarah from JKS Scotland at the dojo tonight.  They have been here for the last 10 days and tonight was their fifteenth and final session before they head home tomorrow.  Yamaguchi Sensei took the 7-8pm class.  I was concerned about the heat and humidity and the risk of slipping... So I placed a towel by the side.  They don't every seem to turn on the air conditioning even though it's 30 degrees +....  Helps make the training harder!

Yamaguchi Sensei concentrated on kihon drills for the first thirty minutes.  Starting with gyaku-zuki, switch legs (staying in same position) - gyaku-zuki, mae-geri (leg back), kizami, gyaku-zuki.  20 times each side. From zenkutsu dachi, snap legs together into kosa-dachi, kekomi to the side and back to kosa-dachi and then return to zenkutsu-dachi.  20 times each side again.  We did something similar with ura-mawashi-geri.  Concentraing on a particular type of foot movement.  Mayashi mae-geri, stepping back gedan-barai and gyaku-zuki.  Same again 20 times each side.  We then went on to practice these type of movement through kumite drills.  One line and four people attacking one person.  The class concluded with Ni-jishiho.  Yamaguchi Sensei was emphasising long, wave type movements.  Thankfully I was able to draw my breath on a few occasions during the kata practice!

After training, Yamaguchi Sensei and Kanayama Sensei brought everybody out for dinner to mark the end of Paul, Ronnie and Sarah's time at the dojo.  It was great to get out and I put my Japanese-English dictionary to use on a few occasions!  We all said goodnight at around 10.15pm and it's time for me to say goodnight now!  Next training session is tomorrow morning at 10.30am.  I'll get up early and do some P90X Stretching!  Goodnight from Tokyo. Diarmaid  

2 comments:

  1. Excited to see the blog res-erected. Will enjoy to read about your 2nd adventure. Big Ossu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin forward to reading more of this once again, best of luck out there

    ReplyDelete